Similar to the flow equations, also mathematical equations exist to describe the behaviour of a structure following a load. This load can be, as explained, blood pushing against the structure, but it can also be a load caused by muscular tension or gravity pulling. It can be for instance very valuable to know the stresses endured by joints, implants, etc during everyday movements.
FluidDA also has the knowledge and facilties to analyse and simulate this structural behaviour. This assists in diagnosing the patient correctly and it can improve and optimize the treatment.
Examples of the biomedical structural dynamics are:
- Functionality analysis of stents and grafts
- Upper airway collapse during sleep apnea
- Valve dynamics in the respiratory or cardiac system
- Optimizing design of highly stressed implants
- Stresses, strains and displacements in mandibula during osteotomie surgery
- Assessment of mandibular movements and airway expansion with Mandibular Advancement Device